Sunday, February 22, 2015

PROTOTYPE - Day ??? (Update 3)

NOT DEAD YET.
I finally was able to take a Saturday off and get some stuff done! :D
Using vertex-snap magic, I was able to fix my earlier problem and then some.  The board (or at least the part I'm testing) now displays a numeric troop value above the territory and has a colored overlay which I'm using in place of a border.  This overlay will later represent ownership.
I also made it so that Unreal recognizes when the cursor is hovering over a territory.  I'll use this to implement territory selection, which I'm hoping to do tomorrow.
BTW, I'm initially just going to use continents as territories since I haven't figured out the territory-continent relations yet.

Now for screenshots:















Here's my test region in-editor.  The actual texture of the land is a dark, metallic grey (as you can see in previous screenshots); the colors are just overlays which double as basically giant buttons that can be used to select the territories.















"In-game" (well, in-editor game mode).  You can't see the cursor here, but it's hovering over the purple territory.  All territories turn white when they're hovered over.

TECHNICAL STUFF:
Each landmass is currently broken into: the base mesh, a 'collision' plane, and a blueprint for each territory.
- The base mesh has its origin at the center of map even though the meshes are in different places.  Because of this, I can drag the map meshes into Unreal and set their locations to 0.  This snaps the landmasses to their exact locations.
- The 'collision' meshes are basically placeholders for the actual territory blueprints.  What I do is take the top face of each landmass and split it along the territory borders into various parts.  I then make each of these parts, each of which is now a good representation of each continent, a separate object.  I can then import them into Unreal.  I use vertex snapping to line up the collision planes to the meshes themselves.  It's all very manual but it works pretty well for now.  Later on I'll see if I can revamp this system to use sockets and make it all more automatic.
-The territory blueprints take some more explaining to do.  In fact, I think I'll make an entire other post to explain them.

P.S. Since I'm unable to create enough content most days to warrant full update posts, I'm going to number these things by updates instead of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment