Saturday, February 14, 2015

I got stuck.

Just as the title says, I've encountered a problem.
Basically, I can't find a good way to make a template that every territory/continent could be used for.  That's the gist of it, but the full situation is a little more complicated.

So, what I'm trying to do is make a simple class in Unreal's Blueprints that, for the time, does one simple task: it grabs uses a variable that holds a static mesh and displays the troop count using a text renderer, which is attached to a socket (a fixed point relative to the mesh) called 'Text'.
Now that doesn't seem very hard, but I have three main problems:
  1. Sockets are components of meshes and each mesh could have multiple sockets, all with different names.
  2. Typically, when attaching something to a socket, a constant reference to a mesh is used, not a variable that could hold any number of meshes.  This is probably screwing around with the sockets somehow, but I don't know how because...
  3. I have very little experience with Blueprints and the Unreal API so I'm not quite sure what I can do to fix this.
I'll probably post my problem on the Unreal AnswerHub tomorrow but I thought I'd share with you what I'm doing.

Once I get this fixed it shouldn't be too hard to render a border around these meshes and add the ability to select each of them and do things like adjust troop count or attack an adjacent territory.

No comments:

Post a Comment