Friday, July 29, 2016

Plugins: An Explaination

In the May post, I mentioned I should talk about the 'plugin-based gameplay' thing I was doing.  I'll talk about that now.

Mega-Risk is not meant to be a static game.  It's intended to have as much community-created content as possible.  Why?  So that there can be as many maps, game modes, and various customizations as possible.

I described the settings system in April.  The main purpose behind that was to allow players to tweak every facet of Mega-Risk possible to make every game a little different.

Along with this, I'm trying to make it easy for people to add their own custom content.  I've already started to plan a content-creator/map editor when(or if) the base game gets 'completed'.

I was having a hard time trying to figure out how to make stuff made in this map creator into Mega-Risk when I found out Unreal has a built-in mod system (Plugins).

I have since decided to use this in the development of Mega-Risk.  Everything outside of the base functionality (territories, multiplayer handling, etc.) will be built as a plugin.  This includes any base maps or other assets that would be included in the main game.  By doing this, players will be able to completely replace the main Mega-Risk stuff with their own.

That's basically all there is to say on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment