Monday, March 14, 2016

Progress update: everything is broken

HELLO AGAIN, any and all who read this!  It's been over a month, so I figured I'd give a status update.  As the title mentions, everything is, once again, broken.  How broken, you ask?  Well, let me tell you.

Over the last month, I've learned a very valuable lesson: if you EVER mess around with your UE4 project files using Windows Explorer, there's a good chance you will permanently and irredeemably break your project so bad that it will either never compile again or the project will be unable to load.

After implementing basic forms of all of the infrastructural files in C++, I received some very weird compile errors.  After some searching, the only help I could find was a suggestion that I delete some of the folders in my project, namely Build and Saved.  I'm not 100% sure what these do, but I think Build handles all the files that are generated when the project is built/compiled and Saved is mainly backups and whatnot.

SO, I deleted these two under the impression that it was similar to clearing my cache.

I was very wrong.

On my next build, I got even more errors and suddenly Unreal would not load the project, giving me a minimal crash report for which there was no help.  Frustrated, I deleted the entire project (I hadn't put too much work into it at this point) and started over.

This process repeated itself to some extent over the following weeks.  One time, I was even able to get the Invasion mechanics coded before it flopped and burned.

Over the past two weeks, most of my time has been spent working on a research paper for my history class (school is still a thing that exists) and trying to find some scholarships to apply for.  Mega-Risk was not opened at all during that time.

I'm back now, and I'm going to try to get this puppy stable and not running into a pit of spikes like a rapid Super Meat Boy every ten seconds.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment